Saturday 24 April 2010

Why does this sound like our beloved country?

The following is not exactly municipal related ... or is it?

Below there are a few excerpts from an article by Robert A Hall, a Marine Vietnam veteran who served five terms in the Massachusetts State Senate.

I’m 63 and I’m tired. Except for one semester in college when jobs were scarce and a six-month period when I was between jobs, but job-hunting every day, I’ve worked hard since I was 18. Despite some health challenges, I still put in 50-hour weeks, and haven’t called in sick in seven or eight years. I make a good salary, but I didn’t inherit my job or my income, and I worked to get where I am. Given the economy, there’s no retirement in sight, and I’m tired. Very tired.
    • I’m tired of being told that I have to “spread the wealth” to people who don’t have my work ethic. I’m tired of being told the government will take the money I earned, by force if necessary, and give it to people too lazy to earn it. I’m tired of being told that I have to pay more taxes to “keep people in their homes.”
    • I’m tired of being told how bad our country is by left-wing millionaires who live in luxury because of the opportunities America offers. In thirty years, if they get their way, the United States will have the economy of Zimbabwe, the freedom of the press of China, the crime and violence of Mexico, and the freedom of speech of Venezuela.” Ouch!
    • I’m tired of being told that “race doesn’t matter” when it’s all that matters in affirmative action jobs, lower college admission and graduation standards, government contract set-asides, tolerance for the ghetto culture of violence and fatherless children.” Ouch, again!
    • I’m tired of illegal aliens being called “undocumented workers,” especially the ones who aren’t working, but are living on welfare or crime. What’s next? Calling drug dealers, “Undocumented Pharmacists”? I’m tired of hearing wealthy athletes, entertainers and politicians talking about innocent mistakes, stupid mistakes or youthful mistakes, when we all know they think their only mistake was getting caught. I’m tired of people with a sense of entitlement, rich or poor.” Eina!
    • I’m tired of people who don’t take responsibility for their lives and actions. I’m tired of hearing them blame the government, or discrimination or whatever for their problems. Yes I’m damn tired. But I’m also glad to be 63. Because, mostly, I’m not going to have to see the world these people are making. I’m just sorry for my granddaughter.”
    Does anyone know the way to Uthopia?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Please enter your comments here.