The MM assured ratepayers in writing that the bursaries are awarded by the municipality’s Bursary Committee. This committee awarded 39 bursaries for tertiary studies this year, based on the following criteria:
- Applicants must be studying towards a “scarce skill”, i.e. Engineering, Information Technology, Project Management or Town Planning (including Draughtsmanship and Architecture).
- Applicants must have been accepted by a recognised tertiary institution.
- Preference is given to applicants whose parents/caregivers have the lowest income.
- Bigger bursaries are awarded to applicants who will be studying at state-funded institutions as opposed to private institutions. This is because applicants are more likely to qualify for further bursaries, enabling them to complete their studies at state-funded institutions.
- The size of the bursary depends on the monies available for bursaries and the number of qualifying applicants.